Thursday, March 3, 2011

What goes in must come out

Brace yourselves Followers, this could get messy... literally. It's been a long time since Alli had her last real diaper blowout. However, last night she let one loose that will stain my memory (and probably clothes, too) forever.

We just started Alli on rice cereal this week to compliment her already-steady diet of Mommy B's milk, and she's been taking to it like a champ. After her 4-month checkup on Monday, we made our first attempt to spoon feed her some rice cereal mixed in with her usual breastmilk. She definitely recognized the spoon as we brought it towards her, and she looked like a baby bird as we put it in her mouth. Obviously the only "feeding" experience she's had over the last 4 months has been straight from the "tap" or from a bottle, which uses much different muscles than eating from a spoon.

Naturally she kept sticking her tongue out as if she was flicking the bottle, which resulted in plenty of cereal landing on her Denison University bib. But by the end of the "meal" she was definitely getting the hang of things and must have gotten plenty of it down. She slept very well that night - hopefully thanks to her full belly.

Fast forward a couple days and she's been taking loads of rice with her bottle in the morning and at night. I'm not really sure if she even notices it's in there since she eats it so fast, but at least she's getting lots of vitamins with each chug.

Of course, all the extra intake has to go somewhere... and yesterday that happened to be a brand new 3-6 month onesie. Right after I fed her a hefty 4oz bottle, she got her burp in right away and decided that moment was a good time to let 'er rip. To say she filled her diaper is an immense understatement. She overflowed her diaper. Have you ever squeezed a soft banana in your hand? That's kind of what this diaper looked like. The greenish soupy liquid was everywhere. Some down her legs, some up her front, even some halfway up her back. Keep in mind that all of this happened while I was holding her in my arms. Luckily for me she was also wearing a full body zip-up sleeper and it contained the explosion like a fart in a wetsuit. It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen/felt/smelled in my life. Needless to say, it was time for an early bath for Miss Alli Ru.

So up to the bathtub we went. We stripped Alli of her onesie as delicately as possible, and I knew that I'd have to bite the bullet and get a little dirty. OK, a lot dirty. Under that diaper she was so coated in the mess that it was beyond wet-wipe repair. And I couldn't put her directly into the tub or we'd be washing her in her own grossness. That's when I decided to hold her by the armpits and drape her under the running water to rinse her off like an apple that was about to be eaten.

I was able to get 98% of it off the munchkin before we proceeded with her typical bath, but I'll never forget watching all that crap go down the drain. I'm not sure if it was solely due to the rice cereal or if she had just been storing it up for a while. I'm just hoping she got some nutrients out of it before it ended up in the Charleston harbor. Either way, it brought me screaming back to reality that life as I knew it will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment