Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cartoon of the Week



We have some parents on our pediatric floor that are still breastfeeding their children... and I'm talking about 2 and 3 year olds! Personally, I think if they can ask for it, it's probably time to stop. However, everyone is entitled to their personal opinions, and it's great if you feel like you can breastfeed for that long, but not me! My goal was to exclusively breastfeed for the first six months... and we may have to be giving that goal up here soon. At first, I was disappointed and kind of felt like I was a failure, but I'm coming to grips with it now. In NO way would I ever want Alli to not get enough food just because of my pride! She is starting to really pick up on her intake, which is great! It means a growing girl, and with the rice cereal added and other baby foods added here soon, we couldn't be happier! But, it also means that I am having a hard time keeping up with her demands. She takes about 30 oz of milk a day, and I'm making about 25... so needless to say, our freezer stock has decreased significantly, and today, I'm going to go buy some formula to start supplementing a few feeds a day. I definitely don't want to stop altogether, I know that any bit of breastmilk is better than none, so we're going to try to do as much breastmilk as we can, then supplement with the formula when we need to. I just hope she takes the formula okay, and isn't partial to her "mommy milk" she's been getting since birth! If she's anything like Dad-E, "food's food" and she'll be just fine. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment