Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cartoon of the Week



Another breastfeeding post... sorry if these are annoying to anyone, but it's definitely something that amazes me and that I'm proud of. It's hard to believe that we've kept Alli alive & growing this long now on just breastmilk! I am shocked and in awe by how amazing the stuff is. I research and read about it quite a bit, just to make sure I'm doing everything I can to give her the best quality (& keep up the quantity!) of milk she needs and deserves. My goal after she was born was to breastfeed for at least 6 months, and we're almost to 4! A friend of ours in the neighborhood told me she breastfed her son until he was 22 months old... now, that's not going to happen for me, but I'm definitely willing to go past my six month goal and make it to the first year if she continues to do well & grow! We'll see how things look at her 4 month check up (where she is weight wise & all), but the doctor told us we could start rice cereal then too, so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's growing well and he sees no need to add any formula supplement to her diet. She has started to down practically every bottle we send to daycare like a champ, so we're thinking we need to up it from 3 oz to 3 and 1/2 or 4 oz. We're going to try that tomorrow & Friday and see how things go.

And here's my fun breastmilk fact for the day, in regards to quality of breastmilk:
Unless your diet is so limited that you are virtually/literally starving, your milk will always be perfect for your baby. Your body provides for baby first. (Think about all the women in third world countries who breastfeed successfully on diets of little more than rice or cornmeal. Think about all the women in past centuries who breastfed successfully while living almost excusively on bread or potatoes.) If your diet is poor YOU will become run-down because you will lack the nutrients and calories to sustain your own metabolism. So eat up, and know that you're giving your baby the best he or she can have, and something only a mother can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment