Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Crickets...

So Mommy B and Alli are both in Ohio for the rest of the week, and I have to say, it is a very strange feeling being around the house. Even though I have Scarlett to keep me company, there is just something strange about being alone in a house that typically has two other humans occupying it along with me. I'll actually be dropping Scarlett off at a friend's house Thursday night, which will really make the house feel empty.

Falling asleep last night was difficult for a couple reasons. First, I've been sharing a king-size bed with Mommy B for over 4 1/2 years - and there have been rare occasions where I've been in it alone. This week will be the longest I've been in our bed by myself since we moved in together, at least that I can recall. Needless to say, it felt weird trying to fall asleep in such a large bed by myself. I was thinking that Scarlett would join me, but I had no such luck. As usual, she played "guard dog" and slept right outside our bedroom door.

Also, it was quiet. A little too quiet, in fact. You see, Mommy B has the uncanny ability to fall asleep in less than 5 minutes most nights - so I've grown accustomed to falling asleep to the sound of her deep, slow, sleep-breathing. Since becoming a parent, I've also gotten used to the distant rain sound of Alli's Sleep Sheep coming from her bedroom across the hall. Scarlett also tends to flip herself over as she's falling asleep, so I usually hear her nails against the wall at least once before I doze off.

Last night, all I heard were crickets. I felt so small in this big empty house... it was very unnerving to say the least. I also had to set my alarm for the first time in 10 months, which was weird to wake up to as well. Getting ready for work this morning without having to prepare a bottle for Alli was weird too - in fact, I kind of missed it. Only because I knew that meant I wouldn't get to see her smiling face... not because I enjoy making bottles.

We'll see how things go the next two nights, but I have to say its quite the lonely feeling knowing that when I get home, only Scarlett will be there to greet me. I already miss Alli spotting me from across the room and turbo-crawling over to pull up on my pant leg. Luckily I'll see her again soon though...

No comments:

Post a Comment