Thursday, May 5, 2011

How is it possible to love a little human this much?

26.75 inches.

Almost 15 lbs.

It doesn't sound like much, does it? A little longer than two foot long subs from Subway. And a little less than two gallons of milk.

But this little package is the love of my life.

I am more and more overwhelmed every day with the amount of love I have for such a tiny human being. I still find it amazing that we created her, raised her into the little person she's becoming, and that we're responsible for molding her into the woman she'll become some day. It's all a little intimidating, but so exciting. Every day, I learn something new about myself and my ability as a mom, which of course, like every new parent, I questioned before she was born. Am I going to have any clue what to do? Will I know why she's crying and what to do to make it stop? Will she like me? Some of these questions I'm still figuring out, and I kind of think she likes me... or at least, she's in that stage where she likes everyone, and I just happen to be included in that group. Come back in about 13 years when we've hit the teenage years, and it'll probably be a different story. What goes around, comes around... and to say I wasn't an easy teenager for my mom would be an understatement. We're best friends now, but wow, I'm sure she wouldn't have minded me skipping those years, or at least going through them in another state (or country for that matter.)

I love Alli's little toothy grin. I love the way she looks at us when she's trying something new, eyes full of wonder and curiosity. I love her belly laugh when Scarlett comes running toward her after we've thrown the ball and she's bringing it back (even after the 20th time). I love the way she looks at her daddy. I love her huge smile of recognition when we come to pick her up at daycare, and how talkative and happy she is while she's getting loaded into her carseat... it's almost like she's bragging to her friends that she gets to leave now. I love the way she giggles and waits patiently while we get the bath ready. I love how she knows when we're going to brush her teeth (yes, teeth because she has two now! haha!) and opens wide when the brush comes close. I love the way she falls asleep on me, and when she still cuddles. I love her dancing, wiggling move when she's laying on her belly and a favorite song comes on.

I'm sure I could go on and on, but, you get the point I'm sure. She's an amazing little girl, and I'm proud to be her mom. I just never knew it was possible to love a little human this much... but I'm falling deeper in love each and every day.
Here comes Scarlett!!

Oh Scarlett, you crack me up!

1 comment:

  1. You're a great mom & Alli is growing into such a wonderful little lady! And I read this quote, I thought of you "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."

    ReplyDelete