Monday, April 2, 2012

"Pregnancy Brain"

As any mother knows, your mind starts playing tricks on you the further you get into pregnancy. Most refer to it as "pregnancy brain". Common symptoms include forgetfulness, absentmindedness, and... um... forgetfulness. Did I mention that already? You forget what you were doing 2 minutes ago, you put things back in the wrong place and then get mad when you can't find that thing you were looking for, you have trouble searching for single words in the middle of a conversation. It's kind of like menopause, only it goes away once you give birth. Well, not completely... because that's when the sleep deprivation kicks in and you really start to lose your mind. But I'll give you an idea of what Mommy B has been going through (on top of growing yet another human inside her).

A few weeks ago, I opened the pantry to find an opened jar of applesauce (which once opened, belongs in the refrigerator). I nicely reminded Mommy B of this small fact, to which I received a sad face in response. On other occasions, Mommy B has placed food in the oven and set the timer... without turning the oven on in the first place. Last weekend, she got in my car (a BMW convertible) to head to the store with her car keys (a Honda Pilot).

However, unlike menopause, "pregnancy brain" can affect both parents. It's not the lack of sleep I've been getting, but more so the fact that I've had to handle more of Alli lately. As much as Mommy B still helps out with Alli, there are just certain things she can't do very well at the moment. Alli wants to be picked up and held all the time, which is very hard for a woman who's 9-months pregnant. There are also times when Alli wants us to come down to her level, which again is not as easy as it sounds for Mommy B. We've also mentioned before how much Alli enjoys running around now. Needless to say, I gladly step in when Mommy B can't.

But I have to say, there are certain days where I feel just as out of it as Mommy B does. Take the picture below as an example. No, I was not preparing scrambled eggs. Yes, I accidentally poured orange juice into my oatmeal bowl.




I'm just glad I hadn't poured my oatmeal in yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment