Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Our new arrival! - Part I

We're switching things up a bit with this blog post, Followers. We're going to tag-team this one - with normal type being Mommy B's thoughts and Dad-E's thoughts being italicized. Got that? K, good.

Well, just like I'd predicted in a previous post, our little man decided he was going to pick his own birthday, instead of having us pick for him and have to be induced like we were with Alli. Alli became a big sister on Wednesday, April 18th at 11:51 a.m. to Aiden Ringling Meibers. He weighed in at 8 lbs 1 oz and measured 21 1/4 inches long. Let's back up and take a look at how he decided to make his arrival. Yeah buddy!

This past Saturday when I got out of the shower, I realized I'd lost my mucus plug. Yum. Of course, I've read in pregnancy books that this could mean labor is days or even weeks away. Even though it was somewhat exciting, I didn't really think much of it. I was trying to not think of it at all. But, it was good encouragement nonetheless. I pulled the infant carseat bases out of storage and installed them in both of our cars. Good thing too...

Monday rolled around and during my 4 a.m. commute, something felt a bit off. Uh oh. I was having what felt like labor pains but not sure if it was real contractions as they were not being very consistent. I got to work and texted Dad-E and my mom to inform them off what had happened on the ride into work. Which meant I was glued to my phone all day at work. Of course, my mom wanted to leave right away and come down, but I told her to wait it out until my doctor's appointment on Wednesday. The pains came and went throughout the day, but the intervals where never regular. So I went and got my pedicure that afternoon, and by that evening the pains had stopped. Heaven forbid you don't have your toenails done before you go into labor.

Tuesday came and went without any pains whatsoever. I decided to press my luck and not bring my laptop home from work since things seemed to be back to normal. That evening, we went through our normal routine and went to bed like normal. Around midnight, I woke up to what I thought was just another trip to the bathroom, but when I stood up the pain hit me right away. I got to the bathroom and hung out for a while and noticed the pain was getting stronger. I tried to go back to bed, which basically consisted of me lying there timing my pain intervals on my newly downloaded iPhone contraction app. There's an app for that. They started about 8-12 minutes apart, and around 2 a.m. I told Dad-E that I was going downstairs to try and "walk it off." Just rub some dirt on it, you'll be fine. Around 3:45, Dad-E came down to check on me and the pains were consistently 8 minutes apart. So, I called into work and told them that I wouldn't be coming in and texted my mom who said she was on her way. I just wanted to make it long enough to get Alli dropped off at daycare when it opened at 7 a.m. I had no idea who we would call to watch Alli at that hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment