Sunday, November 24, 2013

Single Parenting

Eric and I have taken our turns playing single parent these past few weeks, thus the reasoning for being so behind on blogging, on top of everything else we have going on in our lives. First, I took one of the first weekends in November to head up to Charlotte to visit The Koehler's and meet new baby Ella, and try to help her out as much as I could. When times were rough with Aiden, Gena came up to surprise me and help out for the weekend, and I think that was the best thing that someone could do... just being there and being available. So, I tried to do the same. After work on Friday, I drove straight up to Charlotte and stayed until an ear infection for poor Ms. Anneliese had them heading out to the doctor's and me back down to Chucktown. I got to spend a lot of time holding sweet baby Ella, trying to entertain Anneliese, and also even got a bit of shopping and coffee time in with Gena. Although the sweet baby smells, cuddles, and adorable-ness that was Ella were overwhelmingly wonderful, I realized even more how content I am with not having another baby. We are definitely done, and I think seeing Ella made me sure that I didn't have that neeeeed for another baby in me.

The following Tuesday after I got home, Eric headed to Washington, D.C. for a few days for work. He had been selected to go do some training at his company's headquarters, and it was definitely an experience he needed to go be a part of. It made for some challenging nights, and tested my patience a lot more than I knew could even be possible. Especially due to the fact that for the most part, they were at school all day while I was at work. So, I basically took care of them from 4pm to 7pm - and those three hours wore me out more than my entire work day.

I commend single parents, or those that have to act as single parents due to deployments, work travel, etc. I don't know what I'd do without my tag team, partner-in-crime, other half. He truly is an amazing dad, so involved and interactive... you can always find him on the floor instead of on the couch, or "bump-bumping" one or both of the kids around the house. I'm lucky to have him, and hoping for no single parenting days in the near future... however, zero parenting days (aka, no kids) would be much appreciated... hint hint when we get to Ohio for the week... whoever wants to take the kids so Eric and I can eat alone, rest alone, watch TV alone, etc., we are totally up for it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment