Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Life is like a camera...

Life is like a camera.

Just focus on what's important. Capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't turn out, just take another shot.

I found this quote recently and it couldn't have come at a better time. Life is overwhelming right now, to say the very least. School is hard, especially with two kids and working full-time. There is just not enough hours in the day to get everything done, and cutting into my already limited sleep time just isn't an option for me. Anyone that knows me, knows how much I treasure every minute of sleep I can get. I am getting closer and closer to the finish line (next August! less than a year away!), and I just want to keep on full steam ahead... however, it's no easy task.

I want to be there with the kids doing everything they are doing. When Eric takes them away to give me time to work on school projects and papers, I just can't help but think about the silly, funny things they may be doing that I'm missing out on. Capturing those memories and moments in time that won't happen again is something I treasure and cherish. That's why it is so very important to me to get this schooling out of the way before they are even older and I'd be missing things like baseball games or dance recitals.

There are a lot of external distractions recently, too. We live in a particularly interesting area of Charleston where we are considered City of Charleston but Berkeley County. When we first moved to this house, we were told our future children would be able to attend Daniel Island Schools (a wonderful school) due to the No Child Left Behind Act. Fast forward 4 years, now, the NCLB Act is no longer in place and our neighborhood has been re-zoned for a poorly performing school. So, although we have a few years until they are ready for kindergarten, it's still in the back of my mind all the time. Do we move to a better school district (we're talking a home that costs approximately 100K more than our current house for a possibly smaller home than we have now...), or do we look into private schools? We obviously want what's best for the kids, but we have to be practical too. We have been meeting with a financial planner too in hopes that we can figure out some of these frustrating "adult" issues.

Hopefully, I can stay focused on what's important. Take one thing a time, and my biggest issue, try not to get overwhelmed.

These two are my biggest motivation. And seeing them "walking toward their futures" in this picture just makes me even more determined to finish up and continue on trying to provide the absolute best for them.




No comments:

Post a Comment